The Provisional Section on Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Health and Wellness (PSOLGBTHW) was established in July 2013 to provide a network for all pediatricians interested in working on issues related to LGBT children, youth, families, and to advance the professional interests of LGBT students and pediatricians.
The Section will serve to develop policy, advise other AAP Committees, Councils and Sections on LGBT aspects of policies, develop related educational programming and practice resources, consult on state and federal advocacy and create a professional network for pediatricians interested in a broad range of issues such as:
- Health disparities/health equity and promotion of best practices and standards for LGBT groups
- School safety and inclusion, prevention of bullying and victimization of LGBTQ youth
- The special needs of children in LGBT headed families
- LGBT youth in the foster care system and LGBTQ homeless youth
- Prevention of sexual abuse and exploitation of LGBT youth and promotion of sexual health
- Gender expression and identity, transgender, transitioning issues
- Impacts of reparative/conversion therapy
- Medical student/resident/pediatrician education regarding LGBT populations, LGBT patients and families focusing on cultural competency and how to make practices welcoming to LGBT youth/parents
In addition, the Section will serve as an opportunity for increasing participation of LGBT pediatricians, pediatricians with LGBT family members or friends, and other supportive pediatricians within the AAP by providing a dedicated forum for professional education, involvement, networking, and mentoring among AAP Fellows, young physicians, residents, and medical students.
View the Section Executive Committee here
for information on joining the Section.
For more information on the Section, please contact Anne Gramiak, MPH