The Section on Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep medicine is accepting nominations
for the 2015 Edwin L. Kendig, Jr. Award until March 31, 2014.
This award was established in 2001 in honor of Edwin L. Kendig, Jr, pioneer in the study of pulmonary disease in children. Dr Kendig's lifetime contributions to child health include:
- founder and director of the first children's chest clinic at the Medical College of Virginia
- editor of the first textbook in North America devoted to diseases of the chest in children, Disorders of the Respiratory Tract in Children
- editor of the Virginia Medical Quarterly (formerly Virginia Medical Monthly)
- author or co-author of more than 200 scientific articles and editorials
- co-editor of Pediatric Otolaryngology
- contributing editor to seven other textbooks
- served on numerous editorial boards, and was a guest lecturer in the United States and internationally.
Dr Kendig served the AAP at the Chapter, District, and National level, including serving as the President (1978 - 1979) and a founding member of the Section on Pediatric Pulmonology (formerly the Section on Disease of the Chest). He also served on the AAP Committee on Medical Education.
Qualifications and Nominations Procedure
The Section on Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine will recognize one individual for lifetime achievement in the field of pediatric pulmonology. Any pulmonologist (or related specialty) can be nominated for this award. This individual should meet one or more of the following qualifications:
- Distinguished clinical service and dedication to patient care
- Significant contribution to clinical or basic science research in the field of pediatric pulmonology
- Dedication to the education of pediatric pulmonary fellows or students
Current members of the Section on Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine Executive Committee may not
be nominated. An inscribed crystal award will be presented at the AAP/ACCP co-sponsored, "Celebration of Pediatric Pulmonology".
Previous Edwin L. Kendig, Jr Award Recipients
2013 - Robert E. Wood, MD
2011 - Bettina C. Hilman, MD
2009 - Carl F. Doershuk, MD, FAAP
2008 - Philip M. Farrell, MD, PhD, FAAP
2007 - Victor Chernick, MD
2006 - Lynn M. Taussig, MD, FAAP
2005 - Hugh O'Brodovich, MD
2004 - William W. Waring, MD, FAAP
2003 - Robert B. Mellins, MD, FAAP
2002 - Mary Ellen Wohl, MD, FAAP