The American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Rheumatology is accepting nominations for the 2016 James T. Cassidy Award until Friday, March 25, 2016.
Dr James T. Cassidy was the foremost educator in pediatric rheumatology in the United States. He educated and mentored many medical students, pediatric residents, and rheumatology fellows at the University of Michigan and the University of Missouri, Columbia. Dr. Cassidy had a distinguished career that included lectures in pediatric rheumatology topics at numerous medical centers in the United States and internationally. Dr Cassidy worked with Ross Petty to develop the well-recognized textbook of pediatric rheumatology, now in its seventh edition. Dr Cassidy was an advocate for children with rheumatic disease nationally and within the American Academy of Pediatrics.
The AAP Section on Rheumatology will recognize an individual for outstanding achievement in the field of pediatric rheumatology. Nominees must meet one or more of the following qualifications:
- Recognition as an outstanding educator
- History of successfully training pediatric rheumatology fellows
- Contributions to the field of pediatric rheumatology through research, publications, and/or legislation
- Current members of the Section on Rheumatology Executive Committee may not be nominated.
Nominations should be submitted to email@example.com
by Friday, March 25, 2016 and include all
of the following: Nomination Form
, Nomination Letter, Nominee's Curriculum Vitae and biosketch (NIH format preferred) and list of pediatric rheumatology fellows trained by the nominee.
- Two page maximum
- Emphasize the specific talents of the nominee that merit consideration by the selection committee
- List and describe some of the nominee's pertinent activities in the area of education, research, and/or advocacy as it relates to pediatric rheumatology. (Describe the impact of this work, providing as much detail as necessary to give the Award committee a clear picture of the nominee's qualifications)
- The letter of nomination should include relevant examples of all the award criteria including accomplishments in education, experience with training pediatric rheumatology fellows, and indicate any research, publications, and/or legislation that have significantly contributed to pediatric rheumatology.
- Please indicate whether the candidate has previously received awards or special recognition for his or her work, particularly pertaining to recognition as an outstanding educator
Note: Please be sure to submit all the required information - incomplete nomination packages will not be considered!
The Award Committee will review all the Nominations Packages and submit the names of the top candidates to the section membership for a vote. The Award recipient will be notified by July 1, 2016. The recipient will receive travel costs to attend the award presentation, a plaque, and a $500 honorarium.
Previous James T. Cassidy Award Recipients
The AAP Section on Rheumatology congratulates the following individuals for receiving the James T. Cassidy Award:
- 2015 – Gloria Higgins, MD, FAAP
- 2014 - Carlos D. Rosé, MD, CIP, FAAP
- 2013 - Charles H. Spencer, MD, FAAP
- 2012 - Carol A. Wallace, MD, FAAP
- 2011 - Christy I. Sandborg, MD, FAAP
- 2010 - Ronald M. Laxer, MD, FAAP
- 2009 - David D. Sherry, MD, FAAP
- 2008 - Suzanne L. Bowyer, MD, FAAP
- 2007 - Thomas J. A. Lehman, MD, FAAP
- 2006 - Carol B. Lindsley, MD, FAAP
- 2005 - Murray H. Passo, MD, FAAP (Sponsored by an educational grant from Wyeth)
- 2004 - Peter B. Dent, MD, FAAP (Sponsored by an educational grant from Wyeth)
- 2003 - Ross Petty, MD, FAAP (Sponsored by an educational grant from Wyeth)
2002 - Balu Athreya, MD, FAAP (Sponsored by an educational grant from Wyeth)
- 2001 - Deborah Kredich, MD, FAAP (Sponsored by an educational grant from Wyeth)
If you have questions about the award or award process, please contact Laura Laskosz, AAP Staff, at 800.433.9016, ext. 4928 or firstname.lastname@example.org.