How to Join the Section
The Section on Tobacco Control welcomes all American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) members and non-AAP members who would like to join us in accomplishing the mission and goals of our section. The Section Executive Committee is committed to making the Section a multidisciplinary collaboration. In July 2013, membership in the Section was opened to non-AAP members (Affiliate Members). We draw from the strengths of the AAP Julius B. Richmond Center of Excellence, building initiative and energy to address the challenge that tobacco poses to child health. The Executive Committee is excited to work alongside others that share this same passion.
Join the Section on Tobacco Control as a current AAP member or non-AAP member (Affiliate Member):
AAP Members - Join Now!
All current Academy members are eligible to join the Section. Please note an application and Tobacco Disclosure Statement (available with the online application) are required.
There are no dues for this new AAP section for current AAP Members.
Affiliate Members - Join Now!
Affiliate membership is open to non-AAP members who fall into the following categories:
- Allied health care professionals (nurses, advanced practice providers, psychologists, social workers).
- International Pediatricians or licensed physicians not otherwise eligible for AAP membership (e.g. internists or family medicine specialists).
- Researchers/educators/policy experts with a doctoral degree (PhD, EdD, JD).
- Public health and education professionals (MPH, state and local health department tobacco control staff, child care professionals, educators).
- Exceptional individuals who are not otherwise eligible for AAP membership, and who are not represented in the above categories who have made outstanding contributions to the field of tobacco control also may be nominated for Affiliate Membership by a voting member. The nominating member shall submit substantial evidence of nominee's contributions to the field of tobacco control, which will be reviewed and subject to vote by the Executive Committee.
With the application for membership, a candidate for the Affiliate Member category of membership must submit a current curriculum vitae, tobacco disclosure statement, and a sponsor letter from an AAP Fellow or Specialty Fellow who is a member of the Section, detailing the nominee's involvement in tobacco control, as well as a copy of license, certificate, or diploma (where applicable). Section staff are available to assist with this process.
Annual dues for Affiliate Members is $20.
Benefits of Membership
As a member of the Section on Tobacco Control you will receive:
- The Section newsletter, published electronically two times a year, containing information on current tobacco prevention and treatment initiatives
- A subscription to the Section's listserv to discuss current issues around tobacco control and facilitate communication and networking among section members
- Access to the Section on Tobacco Control Web site "Members Only" content
- The opportunity to plan and provide educational sessions at the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) National Conference and Exhibition and other AAP meetings
- Opportunities to get involved with Section projects and activities based on your area(s) of expertise and interest
- The opportunity to run for positions on the Section Executive Committee (for AAP members only)
- The opportunity to participate in Section member surveys to guide Section educational opportunities
- The opportunity to vote for proposed bylaw changes to help guide the future direction of the Section (for AAP members only)
- The opportunity to influence AAP by providing input to policy statements and practice guidelines
Your contributions to the Section on Tobacco Control will help to determine our success. Here are some ways you can actively participate in the section:
- Encourage friends and colleagues to join the Section on Tobacco Control
- Spread the word about the Section on Tobacco Control to other sections, committees, councils, chapters, and AAP members
- Actively participate in discussions with your peers on our listserv
- Write an article for our newsletter
- Suggest topics for the newsletter, listserv, or Section activities
- Join a subcommittee or suggest a new subcommittee
If you have questions about the Section's membership process or would like additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.