Poison Treatment Tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics

​Poison Treatment Tips from the American Academy of Pediatrics

If your child is unconscious, not breathing, or having convulsions or seizures due to poison contact or ingestion, call 911 or your local emergency number immediately. If your child has come in contact with poison and has mild or no symptoms, call Poison help at 1-800-222-1222. The AAP also has poison prevention tips for families.

Different types and methods of poisoning require different, immediate treatment: 

  • Swallowed poison – Take the item away from the child, and have the child spit out any remaining substance. Do not make your child vomit. Do not use syrup of ipecac.

  • Swallowed battery – If your child has swallowed a button-cell battery, seek treatment in a hospital emergency department immediately.

  • Skin poison -- Remove the child's clothes and rinse the skin with lukewarm water for at least 15 minutes.

  • Eye poison -- Flush the child's eye by holding the eyelid open and pouring a steady stream of room temperature water into the inner corner for 15 minutes.

Poisonous fumes – Take the child outside or into fresh air immediately. If the child has stopped breathing, start cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and do not stop until the child breathes on his or her own, or until someone can take over.

 
These tips may be excerpted or printed in their entirety, with attribution to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
 

©American Academy of Pediatrics, 2/18