The following New Year tips are from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). Please feel free to use them in any print or broadcast story, with appropriate attribution of source.
- I will clean up my toys by putting them where they belong.
- I will let my parents help me brush my teeth twice a day.I will wash my hands after going to the bathroom and before eating.
- I will help clear the table when I am done eating.
- I will be friendly to all animals. I will remember to ask the owners if I can pet their animal first.
- I will be nice to other kids who need a friend or look sad or lonely.
- I will talk with my parent or a trusted adult when I need help or am scared.
Kids, 5 to 12 years old
- I will drink reduced-fat milk and water every day, and drink soda and fruit drinks only at special times.
- I will take care of my skin by putting on sunscreen before I go outdoors on bright, sunny days. I will try to stay in the shade whenever possible and wear a hat and sunglasses, especially when I'm playing sports.
- I will try to find a sport (like basketball or soccer) or an activity (like playing tag, jumping rope, dancing or riding my bike) that I like and do it at least three times a week!
- I will always wear a helmet when riding a bike, scooter or skateboard.
- I will wear my seat belt every time I get in a car. I'll sit in the back seat and use a booster seat until I am tall enough to use a lap/shoulder seat belt.
- I'll be friendly to kids who may have a hard time making friends by asking them to join activities such as sports or games.
- I will always tell an adult about any bullying I may see or hear about to help keep school safe for everyone.
- I will keep my personal information safe and not share my name, home address, school name or telephone number on the Internet. Also, I'll never send a picture of myself to someone I chat with on the computer without asking my parent if it is okay.
- I will try to talk with my parent or a trusted adult when I have a problem or feel stressed.
- I promise to follow our household rules for videogames and internet use.
Kids, 13 years old and older
- I will try to eat two servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables every day, and I will drink sodas only at special times.
- I will take care of my body through physical activity and eating the right types and amounts of foods.
- I will choose non-violent television shows and video games, and I will spend only one to two hours each day – at the most – on these activities. I promise to follow our household rules for videogames and Internet use.
- I will help out in my community – through giving some of my time to help others, working with community groups or by joining a group that helps people in need.
- When I feel angry or stressed out, I will take a break and find helpful ways to deal with the stress, such as exercising, reading, writing in a journal or talking about my problem with a parent or friend.
- When faced with a difficult decision, I will talk about my choices with an adult whom I can trust.
- When I notice my friends are struggling, being bullied or making risky choices, I will talk with a trusted adult and attempt to find a way that I can help them.
- I will be careful about whom I choose to date, and always treat the other person with respect and without forcing them to do something or using violence. I will expect to be treated the same way in return.
- I will resist peer pressure to try tobacco-cigarettes, drugs or alcohol. I will also avoid the use of e-cigarettes.
- I agree not to use a cellphone or text message while driving and to always use a seat belt.
American Academy of Pediatrics, 12/15