Chapter Contact: Carlyn Christensen-Szalanski, MD, FAAP
Chapter Contact: Dennis Cooley, MD, FAAP, Vice President
1) The AAP Kansas Chapter offered a presentation at the spring CME meeting titled “Office Disaster Preparedness” which was well received.
2) The AAP Kansas Chapter developed a template for practices to use in developing written office disaster plans. This was developed to be used in conjunction with the AAP Preparedness Checklist for Pediatric Practices. The Chapter has placed this on its website where members can download it. The AAP Kansas Chapter also developed a template for AAP Chapters. The Chapter also has links to the AAP Children and Disasters Web site.
3) A representative from the Chapter is now attending the state Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) meetings.
4) Dennis Cooley, MD, FAAP, Kansas Disaster Preparedness Chapter Contact, was part of a team that has reviewed and revised the scarce resources protocols for the state’s acute care facilities, titled Kansas Crisis Protocols of Care Guidelines. Pediatric protocols are part of this plan. Dr Cooley is currently part of a group that is traveling throughout the state giving presentations on these protocols. These presentations are targeting Emergency/Disaster Planners, Hospital Administrators, and Physicians.
5) Dr Cooley continues to give pediatric disaster preparedness lectures at Topeka regional Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) courses. This has been an excellent way to train more people on children’s needs during disasters and to link these discussions with the PALS training.
6) The AAP Kansas Chapter led a discussion of the role of AAP Districts in disaster preparedness at the recent AAP District VI meeting. From this meeting came the request from District VI Chairperson, Pam Shaw, MD, FAAP, that all Chapters have a Chapter disaster plan in place by the District VI July 2014 conference call.
7) To help Chapters in the District to develop plans, Dr Cooley provided a template for Chapter disaster preparedness plans that is to be used in conjunction with the AAP Pediatric Preparedness Resource Kit. This template was sent to other Chapters in District VI. Hopefully this will be a resource for all AAP Chapters.
8) The Chapter has completed its Chapter Disaster Preparedness Plan.
Chapter Contact: Ted Barnett, MD, FAAP
Chapter Contact: Rachel Charney, MD, FAAP
The Missouri AAP Chapter formed a Committee on Disaster Preparedness and appointed Ted Barnett, MD, FAAP to serve as the committee chairperson. Dr Barnett is a highly qualified and experienced pediatric emergency medicine physician at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, and he also serves as the disaster preparedness director for the hospital. Committee members from across the state are being recruited, and conference calls will be scheduled.
- Are You Ready? (Missouri) – A compilation of readiness materials and tools to help Missouri schools and families prepare for emergencies when school is in session. (MO Department of Health and Senior Services)
Chapter Contact: Robert Chaplin, MD, FAAP