The mission of the Section on Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine (SOPPSM) is to improve the health and quality of care of children and young adults with acute or chronic respiratory and sleep disorders. This is accomplished through education, policy development and implementation, collaboration with general pediatricians and other health care professionals, encouragement of relevant research, and serving as an advocate and unified voice on behalf of our patients as well as the profession of pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine.
Infants, children, adolescents, and young adults with acute or chronic respiratory disease are leading healthy, happy, and productive lives. Pediatric Pulmonologists and sleep specialists practice the highest quality health care and experience professional satisfaction and personal well-being.
Membership in the Section on Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine is open to:
- Fellows including Corresponding Fellows, Honorary Fellows, Senior Members, and Specialty Fellows
- Candidate Members
- Trainees including Fellowship Trainees, Residents, and Medical Students
- National Affiliates (see description below)
- International Members
Advocacy priorities include access to care, pediatric workforce, research, drugs, and devices. Members will receive a bi-annual advocacy update, opportunities to participate on advocacy initiates at the chapter and state level and attend the Annual Advocacy Conference.
- Celebration of Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep CME course
- Educate primary care physicians at the National Conference and other AAP CME activities.
- Publish an Annual AAP News Focus on Subspecialties article
- Online Subspecialty Review PREP® Pulmonology Online Self-Assessment
- Choosing Wisely list for Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine
- Pediatric Pulmonology, Asthma and Sleep Medicine: A Quick Reference Guide
- Develop AAP policy on topics of important to pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine
- Pediatric Pulmonology Policy Manual – The AAP’s authoritative and comprehensive guide for diagnosis, treatment and ongoing management of pulmonary issues.
- Clinical Practice Guideline and Technical Report on Diagnosis and Management of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in children
- Clinical Report: Biologics for Asthma and Allergic Skin Diseases in Children
- Clinical Report: Clinical Tools to Assess Asthma Control in Children
- AAP Policy collection for pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine
- Policy review subcommittee provide technical review and pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine expertise on a multitude of AAP policies and publications as well as external documents.
Member Engagement and Recognition
- Offer opportunities for section members to be engaged with section activities through the section newsletter, serving as faculty, serving as an author or reviewer of policy, serving as a liaison representative to external organizations, participating in advocacy opportunities.
- Sponsor the Edwin L. Kendig, Jr Award.
- Promote a strong and healthy pediatric pulmonology and sleep medicine workforce by engaging with medical students, residents, and fellowship trainees.
- Presented a Subspecialty 101 webinar on Pediatric Pulmonology and Sleep Medicine
- Provide opportunities for members to become a mentor and/or mentee through the AAP Mentorship Program
- Fellowship trainee representation on the SOPPSM Executive Committee
American Academy of Pediatrics