Based upon evidence, a number of desired behaviors were identified as critical to helping families foster healthy active living for their preschooler. For each desired behavior you can explore the evidence, learn what parents told us about these behaviors, identify opportunities to promote healthy behaviors at the point of care, review how to start conversations and access messages and resources to support families. Also available to inform your counseling is the Onset and Patterns of Risk Behaviors for Preschoolers Timeline located above this section.
- Choose milk or water for you child's beverage.
Offer 2 healthy and nutritious snacks as part of your daily routine.
- Eat a variety of healthy foods
- Preschoolers should eat the same healthy meals as their family
Parent Provides, Child Decides
- Offer healthy food in age-appropriate portions at meals and snacks.
- Let child decide what and how much to eat.
American Academy of Pediatrics