The most traditional avenue for providing mental health services and supports occur through school-hired mental health professionals. Some types of school-hired mental health professionals includes:

  • School Psychologists
    School psychologists are trained in both psychology and education at the graduate level and complete training in mental health and educational interventions, child development, learning, behavior, motivation, curriculum and instruction, assessment, consultation, collaboration, school law and systems. School psychologists must be licensed by the state in which they work.

  • School Counselors
    School counselors are certified/ licensed educators with a minimum of a master’s degree in school counseling and are required to meet their state certification standards. School counselors address students’ academic, personal/social and career development needs by designing, implementing, evaluating and enhancing a comprehensive school counseling program that promotes and enhances student success.

  • School Social Workers
    School social work is a specialized area of practice within the broad field of the social work profession. School social workers are trained in:
    • Mental health concerns
    • Behavioral concerns
    • Positive behavioral support
    • Academic and classroom support
    • Consultation with teachers, parents, and administrators
    • Individual and group counseling techniques

The majority of school social workers hold a master’s degree in social work, however some states do allow entry level at the bachelor’s level.

In an effort to enhance school district’s capacity to serve students in need, many districts have executed formal agreements with public or private mental health providers to offer comprehensive mental health services and programs in schools.

Last Updated



American Academy of Pediatrics