Digital technology plays an outsized role in the lives of today’s children and adolescents. It is critical that we create a digital ecosystem that is most supportive of their health and well-being.
Our Advocacy Priorities
The AAP is advocating for policies to protect young people online by:
- Requiring digital platforms to prioritize the well-being of children and adolescents
- Updating and strengthening the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
- Banning targeted advertising to young people
- Curbing manipulative design practices that exploit developmental vulnerabilities
- Preventing the spread of harmful content through algorithmic recommendations
- Investing in research to understand the impact of digital platforms on youth
Addressing Social Media and Youth Mental Health
The AAP Center of Excellence: Creating a Healthy Digital Ecosystem for Children and Youth is dedicated to promoting healthy social media use and pediatric mental wellbeing.