The Council on Quality Improvement and Patient Safety (COQIPS) is focused on innovations and activities supporting the integration of policy and practice, education, advocacy, and implementation around the topic areas of quality improvement and patient safety.
COQIPS is supported by an 11-member Executive Committee and continues to maintain relationships with external organizations such as the Agency for Health Research Quality (AHRQ), American Board of Pediatrics (ABP), Children’s Hospital Association (CHA) and the National Initiative for Children's Healthcare Quality (NICHQ).
Please join us in becoming a member of COQIPS and help to fulfill the AAP's mission that "every child gets the right care every time."
Define, implement, disseminate evidence –based practices for effective, equitable and safe clinical care using quality improvement science, policy and education to advance lifelong health.
Quality improvement and patient safety are fundamental to daily pediatric practice, so that every child receives the right care at the right time, in the right place.
- Lifelong, optimal health starts in childhood.
- Healthcare teams should provide equitable, safe, high-quality evidenced-based care.
- Inequitable care is low quality care and must be intentionally measured and systematically addressed.
- Quality improvement advances population health and the value of care as defined by (quality+ equity)/ cost of care.
- Improvement science drives the implementation of best practice and its continuous assessment to improve outcomes.
- Skill development in quality improvement & patient safety is imperative.
- Community, patient and family partnerships are instrumental to quality improvement, patient safety and implementation of best practice.
American Academy of Pediatrics