Utilize evidence-based approaches to engage patients and families in managing mental health concerns.
Preceptor may ask residents to review this handout with data and background information, prior to conference.
Preceptor may ask residents to reflect on a previous encounter with a mental health concern, prior to conference.
Preceptor may use this guide to obtain additional information on each slide, and guidance on conducting reflective exercises and group discussion.
Preceptor may use role play as an alternative to reading Case #1.
Generic or Common Factors Interventions: HELP
Preceptor may distribute this tool to residents. Please note that access to this tool requires a subscription to Pediatric Care Online (PCO). AAP residents receive automatic access to PCO. Click here for more information.
Mental Health Screening and Assessment Tools for Primary Care
The AAP does not endorse a specific screening tool. Instead, the AAP provides a list of several tools to avoid bias. The facilitator is free to select a tool from this chart and print out copies for residents to review.
Preceptor may use these slides to explain the importance of addressing mental health in primary care, strategies for integration, the common factors approach, and to discuss a case scenario that demonstrates the use of brief intervention.
Reflection Handout – Take 2
Preceptor may ask residents to reflect again, this time incorporating what they just learned.
Supplemental Material (Optional)
The preceptor can reference this material in preparation for the presentation, can assign reading material, and/or can develop activities around the tools.
- Pediatrics Supplement: Enhancing Pediatric Mental Health Care - Introduction
- Pediatrics Article: Pediatric Residents' Responses That Discourage Discussion of Psychosocial Problems in Primary Care
- Article: The Case for Routine Mental Health Screening
- Report: MMWR – Mental Health Surveillance Among Children
- Report from NAMI: The Family Experience With Primary Care Physicians and Staff
- Video: Primary Care Strategies by Larry Wissow
- Tool: Brief Mental Health Update
- Tool: Mental Health Practices Readiness Inventory
- Tool: Sources of Key Mental Health Services
- Tool: Primary Care Referral and Feedback Form
- AAP Mental Health website: www.aap.org/mentalhealth
American Academy of Pediatrics