Delegation of Authority
The Billing Manager is delegated the administrative authority, responsibility
and accountability necessary for carrying out assigned duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in implementing the day-to-day functions of the Billing department
- Oversee and streamline billing and collections processes
- Oversee and streamline billing and collections processes
- Implement written policies and procedures that govern accounting functions
- Plan and implement quality assurance for all processes
- Post and review payments received to appropriate patient's account.
- Special program/billing planning and implementation
- Assist in balancing accounts receivable reconciling statements as needed
- Conduct routine staff meetings regarding billing planning and implementations
- Assist in standardizing the methods in which work will be accomplished
- Assist with the implementation of a new billing system (if/when needed)
- Assist in preparing financial and statistical reports as directed
- Develop and utilize computer reports and output
- Assist in preparing and implementation of changes in our accounting system as necessary or directed
- Monitor and collect accounts receivables. Report delinquent accounts to the Practice Manager
- Assist in preparing monthly financial statements to include preparing monthly balance sheets, income reports, etc as required/directed
- Perform functions of computer/date processor as necessary or directed.
- Data entry on all patient charges and refunds
- Responsible for computer billings, mailing, recording and collection
- Data entry on all Medicare Part A&B billing charges and supplies
- Maintain billing and payment log and complete all crossover billing as necessary or directed
- Responsible for completing all Medicare billing forms and back-up information required
- Responsible for keeping in contact with the responsible parties involved as to payments due and the status of their accounts
- Perform secretarial functions as necessary or directed
Equipment and Supply Functions
- Assure that an adequate supply of accounting supplies and equipment are on hand to meet the day-to-day requirements
- Report needs to the Practice Manager
- Request repairs for office equipment as necessary
- Maintain CONFIDENTIALITY of all patient information
- Assure that the patient's rights to fair and equitable treatment, self-determination, individuality, privacy, property and civil rights including the right to wage complaints are well established and maintained at all times
- Works in office areas as well as throughout the facility
- Sits, stands, bends, lifts and moves intermittently during work hours.
- Is subject to frequent interruptions
- Involved with patients, family members, personnel, visitors, etc
- Communicates with the medical staff, nursing personnel and other department
Supervisors and/or Leadership
- Attends and participates in continuing education programs
- Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset patients, family members, personnel, visitors, etc
- College degree in accounting/finance/business management preferred
- Must have, as a minimum, one (1) year experience in bookkeeping, Medicare/Medicaid A&B/Medical billing
- Experience in health care accounting preferred but not required.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action
- Must have proven ability to perform strategic planning and priority setting for a billing department
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public
- Must be able to type 45 words per minute and use a 10-key calculator
- Must possess the ability to work harmoniously with professional and non-professional personnel
- Must possess the ability to plan, organize, develop, implement and interpret the programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures, etc., that are necessary for providing sound accounting techniques.
- Must have ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
- Must have patience, tact, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm
- Must possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing practices.
- Must be able to prepare financial and other records in a systematic, neat and legible manner
- Must possess the ability to examine and verify financial documents and reports
Physical and Sensory Requirements (with or without the aid of mechanical devices)
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the work - day
- Must be able to speak and write the English language
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or utilize prosthetics that will enable these sensed to function adequately so that the requirements of this position will be fully met
- Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity and the ability to work effectively with patients, personnel and support agencies
- Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and hostile people at all times within the facility
- Must be able to lift, push, and pull a minimum of fifty (50) pounds
- Must be able to assist in the evacuation of patients should it become necessary
Acknowledgement (Sample text for the Billing Manager to sign off on)
Upon review, the Billing Manager attests to having read this job description and fully understand the requirements set forth therein. I hereby accept the position of Billing Manager and agree to abide by the requirements set forth and will perform all duties and responsibilities to the best of my ability. I understand that tasks assigned to this position do not involve exposure the blood or body fluids. I also understand that should my job position be modified to include tasks that could result in exposure to blood or body fluids, I will be offered, free of charge, the Hepatitis B vaccination.
I further understand that my employment is at-will and thereby understand that my employment can be terminated at-will by the facility or myself, and that such termination can be made with or without notice.