Join the COSMF today. Enhance your career by helping children.
The COSMF needs your membership and support. Join your pediatric sports medicine colleagues and you will have access to tangible member benefits and numerous opportunities to connect, learn, and engage in volunteer activities. Here’s just a sample of the member value the COSMF has to offer.
Members in the COSMF do amazing things for children and their families. We need your help to support key federal advocacy issues and initiatives of importance.
COSMF members participate in the development of policies, in the pediatric sports medicine field. Join the COSMF and help with the technical review of AAP policies, external policies, and endorsement requests.
Members in the COSMF develop and have access to the ‘gold-standard’ in information and educational resources. In addition, COSMF members help develop and deliver education for general pediatricians and parents/caregivers on relevant topics in pediatric sports medicine that impact practices and families. Some educational opportunities include:
- Helping to develop and participate in courses and sessions at the AAP Annual Conference and Exhibition such as:
- Hands on Exam of Knee and Ankle Workshop
- 'But Doc, Can I Play?’ Managing Return-to-Play Decisions
- Hands-on Examination: Shoulder and Elbow Workshop
- Performance Enhancement: Not Just for Athletes Anymore
- Youth Sports Specialization: Attaining Goals While Remaining Active and Happy for Life (Plenary session)
- Meeting the Challenge: Promoting Sports and Fitness for the Disabled Athlete (Plenary session)
- Adaptive Sports for Children and Youth with Disabilities (Interactive Group Forum)
- Practical Sports Concussion Assessment and Management: Highlights from the Updated AAP Clinical Report
- Learn from the COSMF Case of the Month including detailed information on history of present illness, physical exam, differential diagnosis, tests and results, diagnosis, and treatment/outcome and more. Example topics include:
- Muscle soreness
- Thumb Injury
- Knee Pain
Members in the COSMF engage in activities to enhance their careers and help kids at the same time. Here are just a few of the ways in which members can network, contribute, and develop career pathways:
- Help to revise or develop articles on HealthyChildren.org including topics such as: skiing/snowboarding, figure skating, prevention of abuse in sports, parent checklist for sports, and nutrition in athletes
- Collaborate with external organizations to help further pediatric sports medicine education:
- National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA)
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM)
- The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- Continue to work with other national organizations such as the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to educate the general public about sports-medicine related issues
- Access our twice-yearly newsletter
American Academy of Pediatrics