Recognize and provide initial management for children and youth with mild to moderate anxiety in the primary care setting.
Preceptor may ask residents to review this handout with data and background information on anxiety, prior to conference.
Preceptor may use this guide to obtain additional information on each slide, and guidance on conducting reflective exercises and group discussion.
Preceptor may use role play as an alternative to reading Case #2 and to practice applying behavioral techniques.
Preceptors may use these slides to give a brief overview on anxiety and how to develop an anxiety management plan. Included are 2 case scenarios with video clips on separation anxiety and school avoidance.
- If you have an Internet connection at the time of your presentation, use the streaming video version (4.5 mb) of the presentation. In order for the video to stream, you will need to view the slides in slideshow view.
- If you do not have an Internet connection at the time of your presentation, use the embedded video version (47.4 mb) of the presentation. Note: The videos in this version were set at a lower resolution to minimize download size and time.
Supplemental Material (Optional)
The preceptor can reference this material in preparation for the presentation, can assign reading material, and/or can develop activities around the tools.
- Policy Statement: Sensory Integration Therapies for Children With Developmental and Behavioral Disorders
- Tool: Anxiety Coding Fact Sheet
- Parent Handout: Helping Your Child Cope With Anxiety (Ohio AAP Chapter)
- General Information and Tools on Mental Health: See Module 1
American Academy of Pediatrics