Membership in open to Fellows, Senior Members, Corresponding Fellows, International Members, Honorary Fellows, Specialty Fellows, Candidate Members, Medical Students, Resident Members, Fellowship Trainee Members and National Affiliate Members of the American Academy of Pediatrics who are actively involved in some aspect of the study of the abuse and neglect of infants, children, or adolescents and who are interested in contributing toward the objectives of the Council. Affiliate membership is open to licensed physicians, osteopaths, and nurses not eligible for membership in the Academy who spend a minimum of 25% of their practice in Pediatrics and who are demonstrably active in child abuse providing evaluation, treatment or preventive services for children at risk or who have been abused or neglected.
Council Membership Application for AAP Members
Council Affiliation Application for Non-AAP Members
Both full and affiliate members of the Council receive the following benefits:
- SCAN, a bi-annual newsletter that features short commentaries, literature reviews, announcements of resources and programs, summaries of section and Academy activities, and reports from educational sessions.
- A discount on publications developed by the Council.
- Networking opportunities at the annual Council business meeting and through the COCAN e-mail list (Listserv®); and
- The opportunity to participate in educational program development and other activities of the Council.
In addition, affiliate members receive the following benefits:
- A subscription to AAP News, the Academy's monthly newsletter, which features articles and updates on current issues in child health, the legislative arena, Academy activities, and more;
- The option to purchase Academy publications at the AAP member rate.
- Access to AAP staff for questions and additional information on Academy activities; and
- Opportunities to make pediatric contacts at the local level for networking purposes.