The Jennifer Daru Memorial Award was established by the Hospital Pediatrics journal editorial board in 2013 to recognize annually outstanding original contributions to the journal. The author(s) of the chosen articles receive a plaque presented by the Editor.
The new AAP SOHM Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Travel Grant Program offers $1,000 scholarships to up to 2 nurse practitioners or physician assistants who are interested in attending the annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference.
Primary Goals of the NP/PA Travel Grant Program
- To educate nurse practitioners and physician assistants on the overall field of PHM including leadership, clinical updates, and research amongst other opportunities to learn and engage;
- To begin to integrate nurse practitioners and physician assistants in the AAP SOHM; and
- To offer a relaxed atmosphere where nurse practitioners and physician assistants are able to network with PHM leaders and potential mentors.
Dr. Laura Mirkinson was a hospital pediatrician who was instrumental in organizing educational programming for the rapidly growing field of pediatric hospital medicine. Dr. Mirkinson was one of the founders as well as the first female chair of the AAP Section on Hospital Medicine, and served as a member of the AAP Committee on Hospital Care.
Dr. Mirkinson focused most of her energy on broadening the Section’s appeal. As the first editor of the Section’s newsletter, she contributed to the evolution and formation of the popular Hospital Pediatrics journal. After 20 years of service, Dr. Mirkinson retired in 2000 as Captain of the U.S. Naval Medical Corps Reserves. She then spent one year at Kaiser Permanente, before joining Children’s Hospital of Washington, D.C., and Holy Cross Hospital, where she spent the majority of her career. Dr. Mirkinson ended her career at Blythedale Children’s Hospital in New York.
The Section on Hospital Medicine honors the memory of Dr. Mirkinson with a special annual presentation during the Academy’s National Conference & Exhibition.
The Section on Hospital Medicine (SOHM) Abstract Research Award recognizes outstanding original research presented as part of the National Conference & Exhibition (NCE). Each recipient receives $1,000 honorarium and a plaque presented as part of the SOHM academic and scientific program.
Only original research submissions directly related to Pediatric Hospital Medicine for abstract presentation during the SOHM program will be considered. Case presentations will not be eligible. Past winners (or BOD members/leaders from the sponsoring organization) will also be ineligible. Only one award will be given annually.
Section and council programs held at the NCE cover clinical matters or research related to subspecialty or special interest areas. Submissions by AAP members and nonmembers are welcome, with participation open to health professionals in any field.
Supported by an educational grant from Abbott Nutrition, a division of Abbott Laboratories, Inc.
The SOHM Resident Travel Grant Program offers $1,200 scholarships to 10 Residents who are interested in attending the annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference.
Primary Goals of the SOHM Resident Travel Grant Program
- To educate resident physicians on the overall field of PHM;
- To present background and information on the Pediatric Hospitalist profession; and
- To offer a relaxed atmosphere where Residents are able to network with PHM leaders and potential mentors.
Add to your skills while adding your voice!!
Represent the Section at the AAP Legislative Conference held annually in the spring in Washington DC. SOHM covers registration as well as airfare, hotel, meals, and ground transportation. More than 2,100 pediatricians, pediatric subspecialists, and other interested individuals throughout the nation have participated in this opportunity. The Conference has served to instill knowledge of the state and federal legislative process, develop advocacy skills, and introduce strategies and techniques for utilizing the media.
While attending you will:
- Visit with your Members of Congress and their staff.
- Experience the legislative process through hands‐on work sessions.
- Begin building relationships with peers, elected officials, and the press.
The Section on Hospital Medicine (SOHM) is pleased to present a grant program for two international physicians to attend the annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) Conference. The PHM Conference, which is the largest gathering of pediatric hospitalists in the United States, is jointly sponsored by the AAP, Academic Pediatric Association, and the Society of Hospital Medicine.
The 3 most qualified applicants will receive up to $3,000 to cover hotel costs and the registration fee. Airfare to the meeting will be the responsibility of the attendee. In order to qualify for the SOHM International Travel Grant you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a physician (MD or equivalent) working outside of the United States or Canada
- Be interested in pediatric hospital medicine and promoting the discipline of pediatric hospital medicine outside of the United States or Canada
- Must be able to communicate in English