Welcome to the Digital Transformation Initiative information page. Here you will find important updates and reports of progress on improvements and fixes that are made as part of the initiative. Updates will be added to this page regularly so check back often to see what is new!
November 17, 2017
Enhancements to the Search tool continue to move at a fast pace and we are rapidly approaching the release of our fist iteration of Search. This first iteration is being released using a development technique called the Minimum Viable Product (MVP), which means at the outset it will only include basic functionality. Once the MVP is released, we will continue to collect feedback in order to continually improve the feature.
The Search MVP contains the key features considered to have the highest value to our members and is our first step on our path to the final product. It also serves as a platform to test our assumptions and elicit feedback for improvements and enhancements. It is the first of many iterations and will help us to reach our goal of delivering a search engine rich in features and functions.
Here are some continued improvements to the behind-the-scenes effort:
- Facets: New search facets to fine tune search results for HealthyChildren.org
- Mobile: Resolve text wrapping issues to enhance the readability of search results
- Descriptions: improve and enhance search result descriptions on various AAP sites including Policy and Shop
- Performance: Resolve latency and page load issues when populating search results and correct spacing of search bar elements
My Account improvements are also in progress. Profile data, address information, my preferences and editing templates are among the key features under development.
Improvements to how CME Transcripts are managed and maintained are also underway. Background information and requirements are being gathered to build an initial prototype and work has started on such features as credit claiming flow, certificates, and conducting in-depth technical reviews with AAP DOIT.
November 3, 2017
The first iteration of our new Search tool was rolled out for testing by a team of members and staff. Initial feedback helped identify ways to improve how content is indexed and identified key filters and contexts to enhance search relevancy and precision.
Here is a look at some of the behind-the-scenes features used to improve the search experience:
- All AAP: Gives users the ability to search all AAP content in one search experience.
- Policy tagging: Search results for AAP Policy are uniquely identified on the search page to help users more easily find this content.
- Weighting: Delivers results with the highest relevance for better search results.
- Filters: can be reset for additional search refinement.
- Cache busting: Speeds up browsing times by saving previous information for future use in temporary folders, rather than re-loading each time.
In addition, the new My Account prototype was presented to members of the Core Team (AAP staff) for review and feedback. This initial review prompted many helpful questions and comments that will be used to further improve this functionality and move us closer to creating a member experience that is personalized and user-friendly.
October 20, 2017
A new way to Search AAP content is about to be released for testing. This testing will be done by a team of AAP members and staff over the next few weeks.
Here are the improvements being put in place to make the search experience friendlier and faster:
- Making Policy and AAP journal content easier to find in search results
- Giving users the ability to search by policy types
- Incorporating new filters, called contexts and facets, to help users find the most relevant search results
- Adding an Advanced Search (Boolean and Exact Match) to help users refine search terms
- Highlighting key words in search results
All of these features are the result of member feedback received from interviews at NCE and from the feedback widget located on AAP.org. These improvements are just the first of many future iterations as we continuously make improvements to search.
A refreshed My Account is the next focus of our efforts. A prototype was built and presented to members and staff for input. Keeping the DTI Core Principles of Connect-Simplify-Personalize in mind, the new My Account will be designed to be easy to connect to, simple to use, and personalized for member needs. Everything you need to know about your membership and interests will be available in one area. We are very excited about the new My Account and will keep you posted on our progress.
We did it! We made the AAP.org Homepage a friendlier experience by reorganizing the content to display the subject areas you search the most.
Making the homepage easier to navigate is just one example of the progress we've made to enhance the user experience. Here are updates on some of the other work in progress:
Better access to policy from the AAP.org home page. Now when you click on Policy in the top drop-down menu, you will go straight to the list of policies, clinical reports and technical reports to get the information you need.
A new Search platform is in development and will lay the groundwork for a complete overhaul of our search capabilities. The first iteration will include an improved faceted search to narrow and filter results and better serve members and the public alike.
My Account platform will be redesigned to be a one-stop, personalized profile function that better reflects the Core Principles of DTI: Connect-Simplify-Personalize.
Updated and refreshed design elements for AAP.org will be rolled out in the coming weeks and include the selection of an award-winning new font typeface called Alegreya, which provides a humanistic feeling to compliment the unique, hand-cut letters in our Della Robbia logo. Color palettes, forms, panels, buttons and toggles are just a few of the foundational pieces that will be refreshed to deliver a unified and consistent user experience. These design elements will be implemented on other AAP digital platforms as DTI progresses to further strengthen and unify our identity.
Feedback from members at our National Conference along with input from the DTI Staff Core Team continues to help the project stay on course to provide a digital transformation to support your needs.
These changes and updates are just the beginning of the journey to bring continuous improvements to your online experience. But we'd love to hear from you! To make this easier we have added feedback and polling widgets like the ones you see below.
Beginning on August 1, we will be rolling out a major update to AAP.org, which will include a reorganization of the content on the homepage. There are several reasons for these changes, including:
- Improving the user experience of the homepage
- Prioritizing content based on user needs
- Easier navigation to key AAP sites
Feedback and Polling
On July 12th, we implemented a minor update to AAP.org, Search, and Shop that included a new feedback and polling widget. The reasons for these changes include:
- Improved analytics
- Feedback loops so that we can continually improve
- Polls that will help inform future improvements