The above script is part of the
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) radio series 'A Minute for Kids,'
which airs weekdays on WBBM-AM in Chicago, IL.
The AAP says throw out bottles of syrup of ipecac. For many years
pediatricians suggested that parents keep syrup of ipecac handy in case
of poisoning. Ipecac causes vomiting, and for many years was
recommended to remove poisonous substances from a child’s stomach. But
after reviewing the research, the AAP found that syrup of ipecac is not
the best treatment for poisoning. Also, it can be misused, both by
people with eating disorders, and in the cases of Munchausen by proxy - a
disorder where adults deliberately make their children ill. If you
think your child has ingested a poisonous substance, call the national
poison control number at 1-800-222-1222, or 9-1-1. But always remember
that the best treatment is prevention: keep poisonous substances out of
sight and out of reach of children.