Nothing quite creates winter ambiance like a log in the fireplace with everyone gathered around to appreciate its warmth and pleasing light. Of course, playing with fire is dangerous for children, so please remember these tips from the AAP before you light your hearth.
If possible, keep a window cracked open while the fire is burning.
Be certain the damper or flue is open before starting a fire. Keeping the damper or flue open until the fire is out will draw smoke out of the house. The damper can be checked by looking up into the chimney with a flashlight or mirror. Do not close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning.
Use dry and well-aged wood. Wet or green wood causes more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney. Dried wood burns with less smoke and burns more evenly.
Smaller pieces of wood placed on a grate burn faster and produce less smoke.
Clean out ashes from previous fires. Levels of ash at the base of the fireplace should be kept to 1 inch or less because a thicker layer restricts the air supply to logs, resulting in more smoke.
The chimney should be checked annually by a professional.
Even if the chimney is not due for cleaning, it is important to check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything that is potentially flammable (ie: furniture, drapes, newspapers, books, etc.). If these items get too close to the fireplace, or if a piece of wood "pops" and throws sparks, they could catch fire.
If your gas fireplace is turned on with a switch on the
wall, use a gate or cover the switch to prevent your child from turning the
gas or fireplace on.
Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended. Make sure it is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house. If you leave the room while the fire is burning or the fireplace is still hot, take your small child with you.
Minimize your child's chance of burns from the hot glass front of some fireplaces. Safety screens can be installed to reduce the risk of burns.
Put fireplace tools and accessories out of a young child's reach. Also, remove any lighters and matches.
Install both smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year.
Keep a fire extinguisher on hand.
Communicate to children as early as possible the dangers of fires and the heat generated from them.
© 2019 - American Academy of Pediatrics