Residents will understand how to coordinate services with, and provide appropriate referral to, other professionals, laypersons, and community groups, consistent with a multidisciplinary approach to care.
- Identify and establish a relationship with community and professionals groups, such as State AAP Chapter Breastfeeding Coordinators and WIC Breastfeeding Coordinators, La Leche League, etc., that have activities that promote and support breastfeeding.
- Identify various professionals who contribute to the support and management of the breastfeeding infant and mother.
Activities and Evaluation Strategies
- Attend community educational sessions at 1 of the following groups or bring together these groups at a fair for the residents (2 sessions per rotation):
Following the visit, residents can survey parents about the community services and report on this feedback as well as their own experiences.
- Postpartum Support Groups for New Mothers and Families such as La Leche League Support Groups, Grandmother's Tea, Father's Supporting Breastfeeding, Mother's Milk Club, etc.
For the Grandmother's Tea or the Father's Supporting Breastfeeding Groups contact your local WIC office to see if they support these programs. Contact local hospitals to see if they have Mother's Milk Clubs.
- WIC clinic lactation consultant sessions
- Maternal and child health outreach groups or individual sessions
- Other peer support groups, or charitable or religious organizations that offer support and education
Evaluate residents by the number of parents they surveyed and the quality of their suggestions to the various community education services.