Abstract: We intend to expand resident exposure to legislative advocacy and teach how to incorporate legislative action into pediatric careers within each residency program included in the New England Advocacy Collaborative (NNEAC). This Visiting Professorship will educate and motivate our learners, teachers, and community partners to become more involved in legislative advocacy on both State and Federal levels, which will result in a stronger presence at the State House and Congress – observing, testifying, and influencing change.
Goals & Objectives
Increase resident, faculty and community pediatrician understanding of being a physician advocate for patients through legislative action. Strengthen the NNEAC community through resident education and faculty development.
- Bring together the NNEAC residency programs and their respective AAP chapter representatives to share ongoing advocacy experiences and provide continued opportunity for collaboration.
- Increase collaboration with and exposure to community partners involved in addressing social determinants of health through legislative advocacy across the state lines of Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont.
- Increase resident, faculty, and community pediatrician knowledge of and participation in legislative advocacy through educational workshops.
- Develop advocacy action items for the NNEAC to monitor ongoing progress.
- Create a plan for ongoing sustainability of the NNEAC.