Save the date! The American Academy of Pediatrics 2019 Legislative Conference will take place in Washington, DC April 7-9. Registration will open during the Fall of 2018.
If you would like to be notified via email when registration for 2019 opens, please email us at LegislativeConference@aap.org.
During the conference, participants will learn how to become effective child health advocates through interactive workshops and in-depth training sessions, while networking with pediatricians, residents and medical students from across the country.
Why you should attend the Legislative Conference: If you want to be a strong voice for children!
- Select specific advocacy skills-building workshops based on your interests, from the art of negotiation to crafting your message.
- Experience the legislative process through hands-on work sessions.
- Visit with your members of Congress and their staff on Capitol Hill.
- Hear firsthand from distinguished guest speakers and policy experts about timely child health issues.
- Learn about policy priorities impacting children and pediatricians.
- Network with other advocates and AAP leaders from across the country.
Limited scholarships will be available to cover registration costs. More information will be forthcoming about how to apply.
Pediatric Subspecialty Advocacy Track
The conference will also include a Pediatric Subspecialty Advocacy Track offering specific legislative and skills building workshops uniquely focused on the interests and needs of pediatric medical subspecialists and surgical specialists. All attendees who participate in the track will attend the events and workshops on the full conference agenda, with the below modifications/additions:
- A skills-building workshop on how to educate legislators and their staff about your field of expertise, how you can leverage AAP sections and sister societies to advance your priorities, and how you can develop subspecialty-specific advocacy plans through goal setting and action planning
- One legislative priority workshop on a subspecialty topic related to an issue impacting subspecialists (for example, sustaining a robust and specialized pediatric workforce)
- Networking opportunities to meet other pediatricians in other fields and compare advocacy challenges and achievements
If you are interested in learning more about the track and would like to be notified when registration for the conference opens, please email LegislativeConference@aap.org and mention your specific interest in the track.