DART [Dialogue Around Respiratory Illness Treatment]
Lead Researcher: Rita Mangione-Smith, MD (Seattle Children's Research Institute)
What Questions will this Study Answer?
- If we teach pediatricians and nurse practitioners new ways to communicate about antibiotics for respiratory infection, will their antibiotic prescribing decrease?
- If pediatricians and nurse practitioners communicate differently and/ or prescribe antibiotics less often, will there be a change in parent satisfaction?
Summary of Study Design:
- Distance-learning quality-improvement intervention
- Teach pediatricians and nurse practitioners new ways to communicate about antibiotics at ARTI visits
- Randomized stepped-wedge: sequential rollout over time
- 12 national PROS practices using the Office Practicum EMR system
- PROS practices will enroll up to 4,300 parents
- September 2016 – August 2020
- Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
Click here to see a full listing of PROS publications.