AAP chapters play a critical role in improving the quality of health care for children across America. By providing a supportive community for chapter members to engage in quality improvement activities, chapters can increase the value of membership and catalyze improvement in care.
Chapter Quality Network (CQN) projects focus on building AAP chapter capacity to lead quality improvement efforts with member practices. CQN projects follow a modified version of the Institute for Healthcare Improvement's
Breakthrough Series Collaborative Model, in which practices attend group learning sessions and work on improvements in their local settings around a focused clinical topic. With support from the national office, chapter leaders help participating pediatricians implement evidence-based guidelines and best practices to improve care. Over time, practices embed quality improvement into their everyday practice and work to improve patient outcomes at a population level. Through participation in CQN projects, pediatricians can earn American Board of Pediatrics Maintenance of Certification Part 4 credit and continuing medical education credit.
CQN is housed within the Division of Chapter Quality Improvement Initiatives at the Academy. In addition to CQN projects, division staff are available to support chapter leaders with other chapter quality improvement initiatives.
Current and Past Projects
Upcoming Request for Proposal:
- CQN Immunizations, Phase 2 – RFP to be posted
here in Summer 2018.
Ongoing CQN Projects:
- CQN US Immunizations
- Participating Chapters: California 2, California 4, Georgia, New Jersey, New York 2, Oklahoma
- CQN Judicious Use of Antibiotics
- Participating Chapter: Virginia
- CQN ADHD, Phase 2
- Participants: Child Health and Development Institute of Connecticut, Maine Quality Counts, Penn State College of Medicine, Rush University Medical Center, Tulane School of Medicine
- CQN Asthma, Phase 5
- Participating Chapter: Texas
Past CQN Projects:
- CQN Asthma, Phases 1-4
- Participating Chapters: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California 2, California 4, Georgia, Kentucky, Maine, Ohio, Oregon
- CQN ADHD, Phase 1
- Participating Chapters: Arkansas, Georgia, New York 1, New York 2, Ohio, Texas
- CQN Mental Health and Adolescent Substance Use
- Participating Chapters: Connecticut, Georgia, Utah
We are happy to answer questions regarding CQN projects and to assist with other chapter-related quality improvement efforts.
Director, Division of Chapter Quality Improvement Initiatives