As a medical student member of the AAP, you can explore the rewarding possibilities in pediatrics. Connect with other medical students, residents, and fellowship trainees as you build a solid foundation for your career as a pediatrician!
General Information for Medical Student Members:
- Annual dues are $25 – Join today
- Automatic membership in the AAP Section on Pediatric Trainees (SOPT)
- Section/Council membership in accordance with bylaws (additional fees may apply)
- Chapter membership (additional fees may apply)
- For International medical students – Automatic membership in the Section on International Medical Graduates (SOIMG)
Access to AAP Publications:
- AAP News (online) – The official news magazine of AAP
- Pediatrics (online) – The official journal of the AAP
- Pediatrics in Review (online) – Peer-reviewed content in a wide array of topics delivered monthly
- Red Book® Online – The premier pediatric infectious disease reference
- eBreakingNews and AAP News OnCall
Access to SOPT Publications:
- News & Views Blog – Learn more about SOPT and the AAP opportunities and events, as well as learn from other trainees' experiences.
- The PIG Pen – A monthly publication put together by the Medical Student Committee highlighting opportunities, events, and resources for medical students.
- Internal Medicine-Pediatrics 101 – A comprehensive webpage with information and resources for those medical students interested in a career in Med-Peds.
- PIG Resource Guide – Opportunities and ideas for Pediatric Interest Group leaders and members.
Participate in the Annual SOPT Advocacy Campaign:
- Each year the SOPT Executive Committee chooses a topic for the Section's Annual Advocacy Campaign.
- Advocate for children and make a difference through the Federal Advocacy Action Network (FAAN)
Join the AAP Mentorship Program:
- Mentorship is an important tool for professional development and has been linked to greater productivity, career advancement, and professional satisfaction. In a matter of minutes, you can fill out a profile and be matched with a mentor.
Apply for SOPT Leadership Opportunities:
- Medical Student Committee – 20 medical students (2 per district) serve as district representatives. Every year, 10 positions open for election.
- Medical Student Delegate – One medical student from each medical school serves as a liaison between their medical school and the Medical Student Committee.
- There are many additional leadership opportunities.
Attend the AAP National Conference:
- FREE registration for the Conference for medical student members.
- SOPT Clinical Case Program – Medical students can submit abstracts of interesting cases they have come across in their training through the Academy's online abstract submission process.
- SOPT and Medical Student Plenary Session – Sessions specifically designed for medical students on preparing for residency, subspecialties, etc..
Gain Access to Scholarships & Savings:
- Various scholarships, grants and awards available for medical students for research, community projects, travel, and much more.
- Concur – Internet booking engine for members to book their own air reservations.
- Save money with member discounts on AAP products, services, and meetings.
- Save money with Member Advantage Programs in credit cards, car rentals, office supplies, and more.
AAP & SOPT Websites & Social Media:
American Academy of Pediatrics