As a medical student member of the AAP, you can explore the rewarding possibilities in pediatrics. Connect with other medical students, residents, and fellowship trainees as you build a solid foundation for your career as a pediatrician!
General Information for Medical Student Members:
- Annual dues are $25 – Join today
- Automatic membership in the AAP Section on Pediatric Trainees (SOPT)
- Section/Council membership in accordance with bylaws (additional fees may apply)
- Chapter membership (additional fees may apply)
- For International medical students – Automatic membership in the Section on International Medical Graduates (SOIMG)
Access to AAP Publications:
- AAP News (online) – The official news magazine of AAP
- Pediatrics (online) – The official journal of the AAP
- Pediatrics in Review (online) – Peer-reviewed content in a wide array of topics delivered monthly
- Red Book® Online – The premier pediatric infectious disease reference
- eBreakingNews and AAP News OnCall
Access to SOPT Publications:
- News & Views Blog – Learn more about SOPT and the AAP opportunities and events, as well as learn from other trainees' experiences.
- Baby Steps: AAP Medical Student News – A medical student publication which highlights medical student opportunities, events, and experiences. Recurring columns include research highlights, narrative medicine, career development resources, and Pediatrics Interest Group (PIG) activity highlights.
- The PIG Pen – A monthly publication put together by the Medical Student Committee highlighting opportunities, events, and resources for medical students.
- Internal Medicine-Pediatrics 101 – A comprehensive webpage with information and resources for those medical students interested in a career in Med-Peds.
- PIG Resource Guide – Opportunities and ideas for PIG leaders and members.
Participate in the Annual SOPT Advocacy Campaign:
- Each year the SOPT Executive Committee chooses a topic for the Section's Annual Advocacy Campaign.
- Advocate for children and make a difference through the Federal Advocacy Action Network (FAAN)
Join the AAP Mentorship Program:
- Mentorship is an important tool for professional development and has been linked to greater productivity, career advancement, and professional satisfaction. In a matter of minutes, you can fill out a profile and be matched with a mentor.
Apply for SOPT Leadership Opportunities:
- Medical Student Committee – 20 medical students (2 per district) serve as district representatives. Every year, 10 positions open for election.
- Medical Student Delegate – One medical student from each medical school serves as a liaison between their medical school and the Medical Student Committee.
- There are many additional leadership opportunities.
Attend the AAP National Conference:
- FREE registration for the Conference for medical student members.
- SOPT Clinical Case Program – Medical students can submit abstracts of interesting cases they have come across in their training through the Academy's online abstract submission process. The top ten authors are invited to present their poster during the SOPT Reception & Poster Display at the AAP National Conference.
- SOPT and Medical Student Plenary Session – Sessions specifically designed for medical students on preparing for residency, subspecialties, etc..
Gain Access to Scholarships & Savings:
- Various scholarships, grants and awards available for medical students for research, community projects, travel, and much more.
- Concur – Internet booking engine for members to book their own air reservations.
- Save money with member discounts on AAP products, services, and meetings.
- Save money with Member Advantage Programs in credit cards, car rentals, office supplies, and more.
AAP & SOPT Websites & Social Media:
American Academy of Pediatrics