Join the SOHM today. Enhance your career by helping children.
Members in the SOHM do amazing things for children and their families. Our efforts focus on the nature and implications of pediatric hospitalist practice with opportunities to address other general inpatient issues. We also support a liaison on the AAP Committee on Hospital Care. Other advocacy activities include:
- Accessing the AAP Academic and Subspecialty Advocacy Report (published twice/year)
- Supporting SOHM members to attend the AAP Advocacy Conference and represent the field of pediatric hospital medicine
- Partnering with the AAP Washington, DC office by becoming an AAP Key Contact for the SOHM
Policy Statements and Publications
We contribute to the AAP gold standard in content and information related to child health in multiple ways. Here are some of the policy statements, clinical reports and other publications SOHM members have helped create.
- Physicians' Roles in Coordinating Care of Hospitalized Children
- Medical Staff Appointment and Delineation of Pediatric Privileges in Hospitals
- Caring for the Hospitalized Child: A Handbook of Inpatient Pediatrics
The education we offer for hospitalists and general pediatricians focuses on selected general inpatient topics and organization and operation of pediatric hospitalist systems. Some recent programs include:
Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellows Conference – This conference provides a venue for networking and professional development.
Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference - The premier conference for pediatric hospitalists and other clinicians involved in the care of pediatric inpatients. The Conference is co-sponsored by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Academic Pediatric Association (APA), and the Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM).
Clinical Pediatric Hospital Medicine Course – Held biannually (Jan/Feb) to educate both primary care pediatricians and pediatric hospitalists on caring for hospitalized children and infants in all inpatient settings. The sessions offer an update of topics frequently encountered by providers.
Pediatric Hospital Medicine: PREP Course – Provides an in-depth review of core competencies so learners have the tools needed to take the board exam.
PREP® Hospital Medicine Online Subspecialty Subscription – Peer-reviewed questions and critiques written by pediatric hospitalists and based on the most current evidence-based literature. Includes tips on recognizing and managing a wide range of inpatient cases.
There are numerous ways to become an engaged member of the SOHM.
- Enjoy a complimenary subscription to the journal Hospital Pediatrics.
- Keep up with electronic communications including an active SOHM LISTSERV®.
- Participate in research on systems of delivering general inpatient pediatric care.
- Apply for travel grants to attend the annual Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference.
- Get involved in mentorship as a mentor or mentee in the field of pediatric hospital medicine.
American Academy of Pediatrics