This section describes the Instructor-led (traditional) format NRP course. Another option for 8th edition NRP is RQI® for NRP®, which is a quality improvement program for institutions. The program allows learners to complete NRP Essentials via a self-directed curriculum with quarterly activities to reinforce and master key NRP knowledge and NRP Essentials skills at a simulation station. RQI for NRP is not required for 8th edition NRP training for those taking the Instructor-led course option.
Essentials or Advanced
For the 8th edition of NRP there are two different types of Provider: Essentials and Advanced. NRP Essentials covers lessons 1 through 4 of the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 8th Edition. Anyone who is involved in the care of a newborn should take NRP Essentials. NRP Advanced covers lessons 1 through 11 of the textbook. It is appropriate for those who attend births and are responsible for anticipated resuscitation of a newborn with known risk factors, and for those who participate in neonatal resuscitation beyond positive-pressure ventilation.
Each organization will determine its own policy for who should attain NRP Essentials or NRP Advanced provider status. If a healthcare professional is unsure about which NRP level to take, they should probably take NRP Advanced and should check with their institution, if applicable.
Anyone wishing to become an NRP Instructor Candidate must have a current NRP 7th edition Provider card or a current NRP 8th Edition Advanced provider card.
Provider Curriculum, Part 1
Part 1 focuses on building a foundation of neonatal resuscitation knowledge. The learning activities in Part I include:
- Self-study the Textbook of Neonatal Resuscitation, 8th Ed
- Online Learning Assessment
- Featuring True Adaptive™ learning – a personalized method tailored to individual knowledge and confidence levels. True Adaptive learning adjusts to the learner’s competence and performance in real-time.
- Advanced Exam (35 questions; for Advanced Curriculum only)
- You have unlimited attempts to complete the exam
- Part 1 Evaluation
Provider Curriculum, Part 2
Part 2 includes the Instructor-led Event (hands-on portion of the course). You will need to attend an Instructor-led Event appropriate to your curriculum type (Essentials or Advanced; some events may include both). Activities include:
- Register for an Instructor-led Event, which includes:
- Performance and Integrated Skills
- The Performance Skills Station provides an opportunity to practice or review technical hands-on resuscitation skills with instructor assistance.
- The Integrated Skills Station allows the instructor to facilitate more than one scenario and evaluate the learner's readiness for simulation and debriefing.
- Simulation and Debriefing
- Simulation and debriefing provide a safe setting in which to integrate cognitive and technical skills and focus on team communication and patient safety. The instructor will not coach, assist, or interrupt during a scenario.
You must register for an NRP 8th edition Instructor-led Event before attending the event. You can either register yourself for events or you can be registered by an instructor or administrator.
Once you complete all steps, the instructor will approve your skills and your eCard will be generated. You will then have access to your NRP Provider eCard in your account on the NRP 8th edition Learning Platform.