ASPIRE (Adolescent Substance use Prevention Intervention REsearch study)
Lead Researchers: Sion Harris, PhD (Boston Children’s Hospital)
Lydia Shrier, MD, FAAP (Boston Children’s Hospital)
What Questions will this Study Answer?
- Will a screening and brief intervention reduce heavy episodic drinking among at-risk adolescents?
- Will a screening and brief intervention reduce key safety risks associated with alcohol use:
- Riding with an impaired driver or
- Driving while impaired?
Summary of Study Design:
- Multi-site, cluster-randomized effectiveness trial
- Clinicians will be randomized to the intervention or usual care group
- 10 national PROS practices; about 40 clinicians
- Over 1,300 youth ages 14-17 years old
- March 2022 – March 2025
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Click here to see a full listing of PROS publications.
American Academy of Pediatrics