The medical home and the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Part C Early Intervention (EI) Program share many common purposes for infants and children ages 0 to 3 years. Pediatric medical home practices see many infants and toddlers with developmental delays and/or complex chronic conditions. Economic, health, and family-focused data each underscore the critical role of timely referral to EI services.
The AAP Council on Children with Disabilities clinical report, Early Intervention, IDEA Part C Services, and the Medical Home: Collaboration for Best Practice and Best Outcomes:
- Reviews the common core components of IDEA Part C and the medical home;
- Reviews evidence of the value of medical home and EI programs for infants/toddlers with special needs;
- Provides pediatricians with information on evidence-based best-practice models for effective EI;
- Highlights systematic barriers to identification/integration of infants in EI services; and
- Offers resources for medical home personnel and families to support this collaboration, including a EI Referral Form Template
Additional information on Early Intervention for families can be found on www.HealthyChildren.org
Find contact information for the Part C/Early Intervention Program in each state and additional referral contact links.