1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update on overall prevalence of major birth defects--Atlanta, Georgia, 1978-2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;57(1):1-5.
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5701a2.htm Accessed February 21, 2012.
2. Reller MD, Strickland MJ, Riehle-Colarusso T, Mahle WT, Correa A. Prevalence of congenital heart defects in metropolitan Atlanta, 1998-2005. J Pediatr. 2008;153(6):807-813.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2613036/pdf/nihms8082.pdf Accessed February 21, 2012.
3. Hoffman JI, Kaplan S. The incidence of congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002;39(12):1890-1900.
4. Martin JA, Hamilton BE, Ventura SJ, et al. Births: final data for 2009. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2011;60(1):1-71. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr60/nvsr60_01.pdf Accessed February 21, 2012.
5. Moller JH, Taubert KA, Allen HD, Clark EB, Lauer RM. Cardiovascular health and disease in children: current status. A Special Writing Group from the Task Force on Children and Youth, American Heart Association. Circulation. 1994;89(2):923-930.
6. Boat TF. Cystic fibrosis. In: Behrman RE, Kliegman RM, Arvin AM, Nelson WE, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics.15th ed. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders; 1996; 1239-1251.
7. U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group. United States Cancer Statistics: 1999–2005 Incidence and Mortality Web-based Report. Atlanta (GA): Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and National Cancer Institute; 2009. http://www.cdc.gov/uscs. Accessed March 20, 2012.
8. Ries LAG, Eisner MP, Kosary CL, eds. SEER Cancer Statistics Review,1973-1999. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 2002. http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1973_1999/ Accessed February 21, 2012.
9. Warnes CA, Liberthson R, Danielson GK, et al. Task force 1: the changing profile of congenital heart disease in adult life. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001;37(5):1170-1175.
10. Marelli AJ, Mackie AS, Ionescu-Ittu R, Rahme E, Pilote L. Congenital heart disease in the general population: changing prevalence and age distribution. Circulation. 2007;115(2):163-172. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/115/2/163.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
11. Hoffman JI, Kaplan S, Liberthson RR. Prevalence of congenital heart disease. Am Heart J. 2004;147(3):425-439.
12. Fyler DC. Report of the New England Regional Infant Cardiac Program. Pediatrics.1980;65(2)(suppl 2):375-461.
13. Rosano A, Botto LD, Botting B, Mastroiacovo P. Infant mortality and congenital anomalies from 1950 to 1994: an international perspective. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2000;54(9):660-666.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1731756/pdf/v054p00660.pdf Accessed February 21, 2012.
14. Yang Q, Chen H, Correa A, Devine O, Mathews TJ, Honein MA. Racial differences in infant mortality attributable to birth defects in the United States, 1989-2002. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2006;76(10):706-713.
15. Kuehl KS, Loffredo CA, Ferencz C. Failure to diagnose congenital heart disease in infancy. Pediatrics. 1999;103(4):743-747.
16. Wren C, Reinhardt Z, Khawaja K. Twenty-year trends in diagnosis of life-threatening neonatal cardiovascular malformations. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2008;93(1):F33-F35.
17. Ng B, Hokanson J. Missed congenital heart disease in neonates. Congenit Heart Dis. 2010;5(3):292-296.
18. Hokanson JS. Pulse oximetry screening for unrecognized congenital heart disease in neonates. Neonatology Today. 2010;5(12):1-6. http://www.neonatologytoday.net/newsletters/nt-dec10.pdf Accessed February 21, 2012.
19. Knapp AA, Metterville DR, Kemper AR, Prosser L, Perrin JM. Evidence Review: Critical Congenital Cyanotic Heart Disease, Final Draft. Rockville, MD: Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration; September 3, 2010.
http://www.hrsa.gov/advisorycommittees/mchbadvisory/heritabledisorders/nominatecondition/reviews/cyanoticheart.pdf Accessed February 21, 2012.
20. Gilboa SM, Salemi JL, Nembhard WN, Fixler DE, Correa A. Mortality resulting from congenital heart disease among children and adults in the United States, 1999 to 2006. Circulation. 2010;122(22):2254-2263.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/122/22/2254.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
21. Boneva RS, Botto LD, Moore CA, Yang Q, Correa A, Erickson JD. Mortality associated with congenital heart defects in the United States: trends and racial disparities, 1979-1997. Circulation. 2001;103(19):2376-2381.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/103/19/2376.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
22. Pillutla P, Shetty KD, Foster E. Mortality associated with adult congenital heart disease: trends in the US population from 1979 to 2005. Am Heart J. 2009;158(5):874-879.
23. Jacobs JP, Jacobs ML, Mavroudis C, Lacour-Gayet FG, Tchervenkov CI. Executive Summary: The Society of Thoracic Suregeons Congenital Heart Surgery Database - Fourteenth Harvest--(January 1, 2007-December 31, 2010). Durham, North Carolina: The Society of Thoracic Suregeons (STS) and Duke Clinical Research Institute (DCRI), Duke University Medical Center, Spring 2011.
24. Moons P, Bovijn L, Budts W, Belmans A, Gewillig M. Temporal trends in survival to adulthood among patients born with congenital heart disease from 1970 to 1992 in Belgium. Circulation. 2010;122(22):2264-2272.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/122/22/2264.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
25. Jenkins KJ, Correa A, Feinstein JA, et al. Noninherited risk factors and congenital cardiovascular defects: current knowledge: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Disease in the Young: endorsed by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Circulation. 2007;115(23):2995-3014.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/115/23/2995.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
26. Oyen N, Poulsen G, Boyd HA, Wohlfahrt J, Jensen PK, Melbye M. Recurrence of congenital heart defects in families. Circulation. 2009;120(4):295-301. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/4/295.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
27. Hartman RJ, Rasmussen SA, Botto LD, et al. The contribution of chromosomal abnormalities to congenital heart defects: a population-based study. Pediatr Cardiol. 2011;32(8):1147-1157.
28. Alverson CJ, Strickland MJ, Gilboa SM, Correa A. Maternal smoking and congenital heart defects in the Baltimore -- Washington Infant Study. Pediatrics. 2011;127(3):e647-e653.
29. Miller A, Riehle-Colarusso T, Alverson CJ, Frias JL, Correa A. Congenital heart defects and major structural noncardiac anomalies, Atlanta, Georgia, 1968 to 2005. J Pediatr. 2011;159(1):70-78.e2.
30. Limperopoulos C, Majnemer A, Shevell MI, Rosenblatt B, Rohlicek C, Tchervenkov C. Neurodevelopmental status of newborns and infants with congenital heart defects before and after open heart surgery. J Pediatr. 2000;137(5):638-645.
31. Shillingford AJ, Glanzman MM, Ittenbach RF, Clancy RR, Gaynor JW, Wernovsky G. Inattention, hyperactivity, and school performance in a population of school-age children with complex congenital heart disease. Pediatrics. 2008;121(4):e759-e767. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/121/4/e759.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
32. Correa A, Gilboa SM, Besser LM, et al. Diabetes mellitus and birth defects. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008;199(3):237.e1-.e9.
33. Hijazi ZM, Awad SM. Pediatric cardiac interventions. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2008;1(6):603-611.
34. Lloyd-Jones D, Adams RJ, Brown TM, et al. Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics--2010 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2010;121(7):948-954.
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/121/7/948.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
35. Williams RG, Pearson GD, Barst RJ, et al. Report of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Working Group on research in adult congenital heart disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;47(4):701-707.
36. Green A. Outcomes of congenital heart disease: a review. Pediatr Nurs. 2004;30(4):280-284.
37. Billett J, Cowie MR, Gatzoulis MA, Vonder Muhll IF, Majeed A. Comorbidity, healthcare utilisation and process of care measures in patients with congenital heart disease in the UK: cross-sectional, population-based study with case-control analysis. Heart. 2008;94(9):1194-1199.
38. Engelfriet P, Boersma E, Oechslin E, et al. The spectrum of adult congenital heart disease in Europe: morbidity and mortality in a 5-year follow-up period. The Euro Heart Survey on adult congenital heart disease. Eur Heart J. 2005;26(21):2325-2333. http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/content/26/21/2325.full.pdf+html Accessed February 21, 2012.
39. Heathcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUPnet). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Web site. http://hcupnet.ahrq.gov/ Accessed February 21, 2012.
40. Gurvitz MZ, Inkelas M, Lee M, Stout K, Escarce J, Chang RK. Changes in hospitalization patterns among patients with congenital heart disease during the transition from adolescence to adulthood. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;49(8):875-882.
41. Mackie AS, Pilote L, Ionescu-Ittu R, Rahme E, Marelli AJ. Health care resource utilization in adults with congenital heart disease. Am J Cardiol. 2007;99(6):839-843.
42. Boulet LS, Grosse SD, Riehle-Colarusso T, Correa-Villasenor A. Health care costs of congenital heart defects. In: Wyszynski DF, Correa-Villasenor A, Graham TP, eds. Congenital Heart Defects: From Origin to Treatment. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2010: 493-501.
43. Cohen RA, Ward BW, Schiller JS. Health insurance coverage: early release of estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2010. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; June 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/insur201106.pdf Accessed February 21, 2012.
44. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010. Pub L No. 111-148, Sections 1201, 1255, codified at 42 U.S.C. Sections 300gg, 300gg-3.
45. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, Pub L No. 111-148, Sections 1001, 1004, codified at 42 U.S.C. Sections 300gg-14, 300gg-11.
46. Truesdell SC, Clark EB. Health insurance status in a cohort of children and young adults with congenital cardiac diagnoses [abstract]. Circulation. 1991;(84)(suppl):II-386.
47. Adult Congenital Heart Association/International Society for Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program Directory Web site. 2012. http://www.achaheart.org/resources/for-patients/clinic-directory.aspx Accessed February 21, 2012.