BMI2+ [Population Effects of Motivational Interviewing on Pediatric Obesity in Primary Care]
Lead Researcher: Kenneth Resnicow, PhD (University of Michigan)
What Questions will this Study Answer?
- Compared to usual care, what is the effectiveness of teaching providers Motivational Interviewing (MI) on pediatric overweight and obesity outcomes?
Summary of Study Design:
- 2-year cluster randomized controlled trial
- Practices randomized into one of two arms:
- Usual care (control)
- Intervention (two day in-person MI training session for participating clinicians; parents of eligible children receive up to 4 clinician-delivered MI training sessions & 6 booster MI counseling sessions with a trained registered dietician)
- 18 pediatric primary care practices using the Physician's Computer Company (PCC) EMR system
- Up to 2 pediatric clinicians per practice
- Parents of overweight or obese children 3-10 years of age
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
here to see a full listing of PROS publications.