PROS is a real-world pediatric primary care laboratory. Studies approved for PROS are typically encounter-based projects that can capitalize on the national scale and diversity of the network. PROS conducts practice-based observational and interventional studies with children, adolescents, families, and pediatricians.
To make a study suggestion, please contact a member of the PROS Executive Committee -- Steering Committee Chair, Jacques Benun, MD, FAAP (firstname.lastname@example.org), or PROS Director Alexander G. Fiks, MD, MSCE, FAAP (FIKS@email.chop.edu). Ultimately, you will be asked to submit a written proposal for consideration by the PROS Steering Committee.
Proposals will need to specify the:
- Research question
- Specific aims of the study
- Information to be gained from the study and its importance
- Data to be collected
- Approximate time frame for accomplishing the study
Step 1: Criteria applied by the PROS Steering Committee in its deliberation include:
- Importance of the study idea
- Appropriateness for PROS
Step 2: If the Steering Committee approves a study idea, it is brought before the Chapter Coordinators for review. In addition to the criteria listed above:
- Coordinators have the opportunity to recommend protocols changes
- Review and comment on study materials
- Advise the investigators on ways to maximize the study's "do-ability" in practice settings
Through this process, network members gain ownership of the study (and improve it!).
The process from suggestion of an idea to launching a study may take 2-4 years, with funding as the limiting factor.
American Academy of Pediatrics